Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

From My Art Journal: A Mommy Moment

Yesterday was supposed to be my work day.  I was supposed to have the whole day of quiet and space to start on a new project without interruptions or distractions.  I packed up my son's little bag with cars, books, crayons, and swimming clothes and sent him off with my husband to my parent's house for a day of grandparent love and pool fun.  Then I took off in a different direction to run the few supply errands I needed before I could start on my project.  What I apparently forgot was that I am 6.5 months pregnant and my body makes it's own demands now regardless of how much I intended to get done.  By the time I returned home several hours had elapsed (because of course once I was out I kept thinking of other errands I needed to make that I had been waiting to make without a 3 year old in tow), so I was now starving, slightly dehydrated, exhausted, and totally unmotivated.  Bah! I was able to eek out an hour or so of work before I had to submit to my littlest child's demands... preggo mommy needed a nap.  Next thing I know, I'm getting the call that my parents are on their way to drop my son off, my husband had come inside asking what we should do for dinner (after announcing his incredibly productive day working in the shed, which of course didn't bother me at all), and I had yet to complete one thing on my list for the day! Frustration and hormones kicked in, I wanted to scream or throw something, and I had to retreat.  Into my art room with the door closed and locked, I pushed it all away and just started playing in my art journal.  It always makes me feel better.  After a while scribbling with paint, pencils, and oil sticks, I felt like myself again and, ironically, had started thinking about my sweet little boy and how much I really do miss him when he's gone all day.  It was time to let go of my expectations and just be mommy, even when it means that I dont get anything else done that day.  So with a sigh and a smile on my face, I finished up the pages I was working on and closed the art room door behind me as I joined my sweet little family for the evening, as they were just settling down to a picnic dinner on the living room floor.  Sometimes mommies just have to have their moments, but we always find our way back.

Here are the pages I worked on... (there was a moment a few days ago when my son discovered that the glass in our front door creates rainbows on the carpet when the sun shines in.  He was so excited that he had found rainbows and kept putting his foot under the light and screaming with laughter cried, "Look mommy, it tickles, it tickles!"  So that sweet little face that I was seriously missing at this point and his delight of rainbows was the theme here.)



XO, HARMONY

15 comments:

  1. so very sweet harmony! you have beautiful pregnant belly. i am loving your newest work. so free so colorful. rock on girl. love, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! The story about your son and the rainbows that "tickle" -- that is so precious! I love moments like that, that make you remember it's the simple things that mean the most.
    - Mandi
    www.lifeinbeta.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's catch rainbows! Love love that! xo hugs here fr the freckled nest.. love your art! hugs bonitarose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your work, saw ya on freckeled nest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such beautiful stuff. i saw you on freckled nest too.

    love, little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your art journal is gorgeous!

    Saw you on FN :)

    http://hushandbreathe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. those words ring very true. I have a 5 yr. old and 2 yr. old. Being a mom is not easy...but those little faces and moments make it all worth while. Came over from Freckled Nest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww! I love the rainbows <3 Your son is so precious! I'm so excited for you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. stopping by from freckled nest and want to say your blog and your art is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your art journal pages and I so love your new blog look!!! Your pregnant belly is so adorable my friend! I love that you are living a blessed and creative life.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by from FN.
    Love your work and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. your blog looks wonderful and your belly is beautiful! always always always love to come visit your page harmony!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, how very sweet! I remember the pregnant frustrations and hormones. You were smart enough to know you needed a moment of expression, creativity. Lovely blog. Freckled Nest sent me over and I definitely will be back for another visit.
    Cheeky1

    ReplyDelete
  14. Freckled Nest said I should leave you an encouraging comment. Remember what Gen McArthur said : Age wrinkles the body Quitting wrinkles the soul

    Have an enjoyable and cool AUGUST.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the rainbows page! Sounds like it's a good outlet for you to get out all the frustration of the day--and that happens to us all, the planning to do lots of things and getting sidetracked for others! Too bad we don't have a bunch of house elves to help out with all that stuff!


    Gillian

    ReplyDelete

Join the Conversation!